I go to trivia ever Wednesday with a great group of friends. We used to attend trivia at a bit of a rowdier, louder bar but have since found Moose’s Down Under. This bar truly makes us feel like home, we know all the staff, they know us, and Corina, the owner is absolutely fantastic. Erin runs the trivia night and does a wonderful job. Anyway, it is an awesome way to get together with all our friends once a week and I thought that there would be no better place to bring some donation-encouraging mini cupcakes! I made up the poster below and baked up two shot-themed cupcakes, the Piña Colada cupcakes and Buttered Nipple cupcakes. I offered the cupcakes in exchange for a donation of any amount, and the wonderful trivia goers answered in full-force! We made $240.70, including the jackpot that the winning teams (they joined together to guarantee a win) donated to us. I was so thankful for such a supportive group of people and for Corina letting me set up there!
Anyway, we had a great time and are really looking forward to the Spring Sprint this coming Sunday, May 26th. My sister, mom, nieces, and a bunch of our wonderful friends are coming into town for the walk, so it is going to be a great time!
Let’s get to the first mini-cupcake recipe! These are made with the flavours of a Buttered Nipple shot (also called Cock-Sucking Cowboy). The shot contains butterscotch schnapps and irish cream liqueur. I’ve made these with some rum, and a butterscotch/irish cream sauce to top. The consensus was that these are moist and delicious, I had a hard time stopping scooping up the butterscotch sauce! Sorry about the less-than-great pictures, I didn’t get to sauce them until we were at the bar (didn’t want to haul that many sticky cupcakes from my apartment).
Buttered Nipple Cupcakes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup dark rum (I used Kraken Spiced Rum)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Skor toffee bits
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Heat the oven to 350˚F. Line mini cupcake tins with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs two at a time, mixing well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the rum and vanilla until smooth.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until just incorporated. Add the sour cream and mix well.
- Stir in the remaining dry ingredients, again mixing just until incorporated. Stir in the Skor chips, making sure they are evenly distributed.
- Spoon the batter between the prepared liners, if you are making mini-cupcakes, it is just over a tablespoon of batter.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the butterscotch sauce: Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the sugar, cream, Bailey’s, and salt, and whisk until well combined. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the vanilla extract. Spoon over the cooled cupcakes and allow to set. The sauce will keep well in the fridge for a few days, feel free to eat extra as needed!