I am knocking on wood while I type this, but it looks like summer has arrived in Vancouver! It has been gorgeous all week and is slated to be in the mid-twenties for the weekend and into next week. I will take all the doses of summer that I can! Gen and I have even planned a picnic for today at the beach and we are really looking forward to getting outside and getting some well-deserved sunshine.
I can’t believe it’s already been a week since my mom was here, actually it feels much longer, like her visit hadn’t even happened! I keep thinking how excited I am for her to get here, even though she just left. BUT she is coming back, hence my continued excitement. Kellie, the girls, and mom arrive on the 23rd of May. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone, including all of our other friends and family who are flying in/boating in for the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada’s Spring Sprint on the 26th. I can’t believe how quickly the event has come, and I am so looking forward to being part of this important event. Again, if you are interested in donating or knowing more you can click here now, or click the image to the right of my posts.
These cookies are outrageously good. I am not one to suggest that something is the best, but these are honestly one of the best chocolate cookies I have ever had, made, eaten. They are an awesome texture with a crisp crunch when you first bite through the outside and then so rich and chewy on the inside. The slow burn of the chipotle isn’t overwhelming, but rather it is like a nice warming sensation in your belly. I am quite certain these will be a favourite for everyone who tries them (as long as they like chocolate). Feel free to knock the chipotle down to 3/4 tsp or up to 1 1/4 depending on your preference. Also know that the batter will taste spicier than the finished cookies, so don’t be afraid!
Chocolate Chipotle Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground chipotle (more or less to adjust spice)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and both sugars until well combined.
- Add both eggs and the vanilla, beat well.
- Measure the dry ingredients into a small bowl and whisk together. Add the dry ingredients in three parts, stirring well after each addition.
- Stir together your cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and roll through the cinnamon-sugar mixture to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheet 2 inches apart. Using the back of a spoon, lightly press down on the balls to flatten the centre, the rest of the cookie will spread from there.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until centres have set. Let cool on a wire rack. To keep the crunch, store in a glass container, but the sugary coating will still be delicious if all you have is plastic!