I am just terribly embarrassed, wouldn’t you know it, I fell again. These boots, that I love so much, will be the death of me. My knee that had just recovered is now bloodied and bruised. Ooph, what a day! The funny thing is, these aren’t boots with any real heel, they are just out to get me.
In less terrible and embarrassing news, I’ve been asked to be the media representative for the Vancouver Spring Sprint for the Brain Tumour Foundation of Canada. I am pretty thrilled about the opportunity, and am still not sure what it will involve. So far, I know that I will be doing some interviews, and I’ve had to answer some questions, so there is that. And, I made rum balls with my favourite spiced rum, The Kraken Black Spiced Rum.
If a cookie and a truffle got drunk with a bottle of Kraken rum and made a baby, these would be the result. They are baked, so technically a cookie, but once you get passed the crunch of the cookie’s shell you find a tender, truffle-like centre filled with the flavours of coconut and spiced rum. Yummmmmmm.
Baked Coconut Rum Balls (with Kraken spiced rum)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup Kraken spiced rum
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut flour (can use all-purpose flour instead, just omit the egg)
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- 2 cups flaked coconut (even better, toast it first until golden)
- Heat oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Add the rum, vanilla, and egg (if you are using only all-purpose flour omit the egg) and beat to combine.
- Add half of the flours and the salt and mix to combine. Add the remaining flour and beat until well combined. Stir in the coconut.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet, an inch or so apart.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the balls are golden.
- Let the balls cool for a few minutes and either roll in or sprinkle with icing sugar.