Like in my Cauliflower Mash, cauliflowers make an excellent substitute for potatoes in this classic-tasting dish. Full of flavour, cheesy and filling, this is an awesome side dish for any day of the week. The tang of the cream cheese and sour cream pair perfectly with the salty bacon and sharp cheddar. Really everything you love about baked potatoes are rolled up in an easy to make casserole. This makes a lot, two medium casserole dishes worth, or on 9 x 13″ pan. Feel free to half the recipe, I am packing the extras up for lunches!
Fully-Loaded Cauliflower Bake
- 1 large head of cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 cups of chicken broth (or water)
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, roughly chopped and cooked until crisp
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 more green onions to top, chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F. Take out either two medium casserole dishes or one 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
- In a large pot, cook the cauliflower in the chicken broth until tender (about 10 minutes). Drain and set aside in the strainer to continue to release water.
- In the now empty, but still hot pot, melt the cream cheese. Add the drained cauliflower and follow with the rest of the of the ingredients, reserving 1/2 cup of the cheddar and 2-strips worth of chopped, cooked bacon.
- Smooth the mixture into the casserole dish(es). Sprinkle liberally with cheddar and the leftover bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes, serve with a sprinkle of green onions.