This dish is an easy and hearty dinner creation. The cabbage is buttery and understated while the bacon and jalapeño punch up the flavour in an awesome way. I love the combo of cheesiness with bite and this dish is packed with both. Feel free to lessen the spice, half a pepper will do the job, but it is pretty glorious. Also feel free to punch of any of the flavours with a few more slices of bacon or a second pepper! This dish is flexible and a two-pot creation worthy of a weeknight dinner schedule. This easily serves 4 people with a side salad.
Cheesy Chicken Bacon Cabbage Casserole with ranch dressing
- 2 lbs chicken, cubed (three large breasts)
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup cheddar (or mozzarella, or both), shredded
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche (or sour cream)
- 1 tbsp ranch dressing
- In a large pot (dutch ovens are great), cook the bacon. I cook my bacon with a little bit of water to keep it from getting too crispy while I am preparing everything else.
- Once the bacon is slightly crisped and cooked through, 5-8 minutes, chop up.
- Add the cubed chicken to the pot with the bacon and sauté over medium-high heat for 8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- In another pan, melt the butter and sauté the cabbage over medium-high heat for 10 minutes until it starts to become translucent.
- Back in the large pot, add the jalapeño and sautéed cabbage, stir well.
- Stir in the salt and pepper, onion powder, and cream cheese, letting the cream cheese melt into the mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly across the bottom of the pot and sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken mixture is cooking, stir together your creme fraiche and ranch dressing. Set aside.
- Serve up on a plate and drizzle with the ranch dressing.