This recipe was sent to me some time ago by our wonderful friend Evi. She always sending me delicious recipes and I finally got around to making this one! I am sure I’ve mentioned it before, but I love kale, so does Gen. So finding new ways to integrate it into our diet is always great! This salad is super simple. Really, it is 5 or so ingredients, and a few minutes of your time. I’ve actually come to the conclusion that this would be a wonderful way to start an even more complex salad, a great way to integrate the benefits of avocado for the Apple Dijon Kale Salad. Really, the possibilities are endless and this is both an awesome salad on its own and really snazzy jumping-off point for many delicious variations.
Massaged Kale Salad
Adapted from The Wannabe Chef.
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 large avocado
- juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced (optional, we didn’t have any at the time, still turned out delicious)
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- In a large bowl, toss the kale with your lemon juice.
- Cut the avocado up and plunk onto of kale.
- Remove any finger jewelery… it’s about to get messy.
- Massage the avocado into the kale for 5-8 minutes, until the kale is evenly coated in avocado and looking vibrantly green.
You are looking to essentially mash the avocado into the kale leaves.
- Toss in your onions, celery, and tomato. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and cayenne (if using).
- Serve alongside something hearty.