This is an incredibly simple family favourite. In fact, it is something I never even considered making for the blog because it is so simple. I remember having this all the time growing up and it was always well loved, whether it was made with sausage or shrimp, heck it would be delicious with both. This recipe is great for busy parents, or for anyone wanting a quick and delicious weeknight meal. It is wonderful served over any kind of pasta, my family prefers penne. I was not a picky kid, but my sister was a little picky (I don’t remember her being particularly picky, but she remembers being a bit) and she still loves this dish. We typically made this with spicy italian sausages but when we whipped up this batch in Fort McMurray over Christmas we only had shrimp on hand and it turned out beautifully.
Easy Tomato Pasta
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 each of red, green, and yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped (*optional)
- 1 large can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp red chili pepper flakes (*optional but recommended if you aren’t using spicy italian sausage)
- 1 tsp of garlic (*optional but recommended if you aren’t using spicy italian sausage)
- 1 bag of peeled and cooked shrimp
- OR 4-6 spicy italian sausages, sliced into 6-8 pieces each (**if using, add to pan with onions and peppers immediately)
- OR another awesome protein of your choice
- 1 cup of parmesan (or other cheese of choice, mozzarella is great here) to sprinkle on top
- In a large saucepan with high sides, sauté onions, peppers, and mushrooms in olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté until the peppers just begin to brown and the onions start to become translucent, 5-8 minutes. (Include spicy italian sausages at this stage if using)
- Add the remaining ingredients, taste for spices and add more as needed. Stir well and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the veggies are just tender.
- Meanwhile, boil some water and cook pasta of choice according to package instructions.
- Add the shrimp to the tomato mixture and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve sauce over pasta and top with a sprinkle of cheese.