This is a recipe I came up with a couple years ago when I wanted to do something awesome with shrimp. I also wanted to try fennel because it scares me. Well this is a fresh recipe that is easy to jazz up with your favourite raw salad veggies. It was great with shrimp two years ago and was pretty great with chicken as well. Tequila is the great flavour booster, without overwhelming the freshness.
Tequila Lime Marinaded Chicken or Shrimp
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp gold tequila
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic (1-2 cloves)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts (or try it with 1 pound large peeled shrimp)
- Whisk together all ingredients and pour into a large ziplock.
- Score the chicken breasts and drop into the marinade, smoosh around to properly coat. Place the ziplock in a bowl. Refrigerate 1 to 4 hours before grilling and try to re-smoosh halfway through the marinating time.
- Heat grill (I used my George Foreman). Drain and discard marinade from the chicken.
- Cook, over medium-high heat until done. Depending on your grill, it will take from 8-15 minutes. Cook until the juices run clear, or until the meat is white throughout, turning once. For shrimp, turn once and cook for 5 to 7 minutes until pink.
- Serve over Fennel and Fresh Salsa Quinoa Salad with a squeeze of lime.
Fennel and Fresh Salsa Quinoa Salad
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 can black beans
- 1 lime
- a large bunch of cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of cumin
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Cook quinoa with water according to directions on package. Let it cool after fluffing.
- Chop onion and place in a bowl with some ice water and lime to mellow the bite.
- Slice fennel, chop tomatoes, rinse black beans, and chop cilantro. Combine all the ingredients for the salad and taste, adjust spices as needed.
- Serve as side or as an awesome combo for the main.