The title is a mouthful and a bit misleading because while my intention was to make dark chocolate swiss meringue, it turned into more of a dark chocolate-kissed swiss meringue buttercream drizzled with dark chocolate. In any case, these are my favourite whiteish cupcakes topped with a fluffy cloud of buttercream. Neither the cake nor the buttercream are super sweet so this makes for a fantastic bite.
Brown Butter Cupcakes
Recipe from here.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, room temp
- 1 cup room-temperature milk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Use the cup of butter to make brown butter as per this post. Allow your browned butter to cool while you start the rest.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and prepare your cupcake tins with liners. (if using full-sized cupcake tins, preheat to 350°F)
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs until fluffy and pale, about a minute. Add milk, browned butter, and vanilla, mixing until just combined.
- Add half of the dry mixture and beat, again, until just combined. Repeat with the second half. Don’t overmix, this is the key.
- Divide batter amongst liners and bake for 15-20 minutes (18-22 mins, if making full-sized cupcakes), until tops are springy to the touch or a toothpick poked into the center comes out clean. Start checking at 10 minutes as mini-cupcakes bake quickly.
- Cool tins on a rack for 2 minutes before carefully removing the cakes. Allow to cool completely before frosting (this will be 5 minutes if you made mini cupcakes, they take no time at all to cool).