Honestly, I am in a bit of a state. I cannot believe that we are a week away from December and just over a month from Christmas. Oy, this fall has flown by. I need to finish getting Christmas presents. I need to tell people what I want for Christmas. I need to make stacks and stacks of gingerbread houses for my gingerbread house party. I need to make my Food Blogger Cookie Exchange cookies and send those out. I need to do SO MANY THINGS.
At least it is sunny, my paper is coming along nicely, and I live in a city I love. Mom gets here for a visit in less than a month, and I am going to do some awesome tub renoing (redoing the caulking) next weekend, which I am strangely excited for. So things are moving quickly, but stuff is happening and that is great. Also, I had my contract extend at the NFB for another session, so that’s great news as well, and I am happy to get to stick around.
I have been craving my mother’s brown sugar scones for awhile now and just needed to remember to ask her for the recipe and have an excuse to make them. My excuse came Monday when I started my internship at The Tyee. The Tyee staff is awesome and I am looking forward to failing miserably for them in softball this summer… oh yeah, and completing my internship project too.. that too for sure… In any case, starting with them means that I have a new crowd to bake for. Perfect! Scones it is!
These scones are buttery, lightly sweet, and just gloriously yummy. Oh, they are also terribly easy. I love mom’s original recipe, which she normally tops with fruit, but I wanted to change it up too. I made one standard batch (so tasty) and decided, as I am wont to do, to add caradmom and chocolate to the recipe to make a snazzed-up version. Heavenly. Both versions are to die for. I can barely hold back from eating everything.
Mom’s Brown Sugar Scones Two Ways
Ingredients (for one batch)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup milk (plus more if needed)
Additions for the Chocolate Cardamom Brown Sugar Scones (CCBSS)
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. If you have a baking stone, that’s what my mom always uses.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, and brown sugar. (If making CCBSS, include cardamom now as well)
- Using a pastry cutter, or your fingers, work in the butter until it is well combined and resembling coarse meal. (Add the chocolate chips now if making CCBSS)
- Add the milk and stir until a sticky dough forms, don’t over work the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a flat surface and roll into a circle about 3/4 – 1 inch thick. At this point, you can either score the circle into wedges that you will cut after it is cooked or you can actually cut out wedges. I did both this time, the scored circle definitely had to cook a little longer.
- Place wedges or circle onto your prepared baking sheet, sprinkle with brown sugar, and bake for 15-20 minutes. My wedges cooked in about 15 minutes, the circle was about 20. The edges of your scones will be golden and they will be a slightly firm when poked.
- Serve with a glass of milk, coffee, love, etc.
Brown Sugar Scones pre-oven
Chocolate Cardamom Brown Sugar Scones pre-oven.
Ready for munching. And munch I did.
The whole batch... minus one that HAD to be tested.