Sorry guys, I am in a cabbagey place lately and this is just another cabbage-loving creation. I can promise you something super sweet and amazing for Wednesday (it is the Food Blogger Cookie post), so if you are hating on the cabbage, wait until then for a switch up. BUT, if you are down with awesome cabbage-loving dishes, scroll on down and get all up in this recipe. Kel and I are something like 25% Ukrainian and have always taken pride in cooking up great Ukrainian dishes (like Kel’s Chicken Paprikash), in particular we try to get together once a year to make up a huge batch of perogies and cabbage rolls to split (look forward to this post after Christmas). But, when this supplies runs out, immediately after Christmas, they are too good to keep, I have to come up with quick alternatives that offer the same flavours. This one-pot wonder is easy and delicious and makes a batch big enough for a family, or great for many lunches.
Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 3 lbs ground beef
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or olive)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes *optional
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 head of cabbage, roughly chopped (about 4 cups raw)
- 1/2 cup strained tomatoes (I used Pomi, it is essentially nothing-added tomato sauce, feel free to substitute your own brand, or 2 minced tomatoes)
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar, shredded
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt the coconut oil and brown your ground beef. Break up the meat as it cooks to get an even crumble.
- Add the spices to the meat and stir well to evenly distribute.
- Create a well in the centre of your pot (move the meat to the sides) and add your garlic. Allow to cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, until fragrant.
- Add the cabbage and tomato to the pot and stir well to combine. Dollop the cream cheese on top of the mixture, cover with a lid and cook everything for 15 minutes, until the cabbage is tender.
- Stir the, now softened, cream cheese into the meat and cabbage mixture, taste and adjust spices if needed.
- Sprinkle the mixture with the cheddar cheese and allow to melt before serving.
- Serve alone or over rice. Top with a dollop of sour cream of creme fraiche.