I have lots of parmesan floating around in my fridge right now from the flax crackers I made last week. I didn’t feel like whipping up crackers but was hurting for some chicken strips. After cleaning out my coffee grinder, I went to work grinding up almonds and parmesan, and I was on the road! You can definitely use pre-ground almonds and kraft parmesan, but I was using the fresh deliciousness on hand. These are crunchy and satisfying and definitely higher on the health scale than the regular breaded version! They also cook up in a jiffy, making for an easy dinner on a busy night. Serve with salad, or braised brussels sprouts (at Gen’s desperate request).
Almond Parmesan Crusted Chicken Strips
- 1.5 lbs chicken tenders (or 3 chicken breasts, sliced into strips)
- 1 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, ground
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Heat oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Grind up your almonds and parmesan and toss them together in a bowl. Stir in the spices and whisk until well combined.
- Whisk your eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each strip into the eggs and then toss in the almond mixture and set on a plate.
- Let the strips rest in the coating for 5-10 minutes.
- In a large pan heat some oil and cook the strips for 3 minutes each side.
- Lay the strips on the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until cooked through.