Well, this is not as gorgeous as my 100th post, my soups never are particularly attractive, but gosh darn it is delicious. I love kale and I love sausage and I was just hurting to have them together. This soup is super easy and comes together quickly (about 20 mins), quickly enough to make it after a long day at work. Topped with a couple slices of mozzarella, this is comfort at its best. Again though, sorry for the terrible pictures, I was hungry so I ate and snapped a couple of quick pics.
Kale & Sausage Soup
- 2 bunches of kale, washed, de-ribbed, and roughly chopped (bite-sized pieces)
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and minced
- 6-8 sausages (choose your favourites, I used sweet italian sausage for 4 and rosemary lamb for the others), de-cased (slide a knife through the casing and pop out the sausage meat
- 4 cups of broth, I chose vegetable broth to let the sausage shine (again, I use Better Than Bouillon, so feel free to do the same, or use 4 bouillon cubes and 4 cups of water)
- 6 more cups of water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- pinch of salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 tsp rosemary
- A couple slices of fresh mozzarella to finish
- Brown the case-less sausages in a large pot, using a spoon to cut them up into chunks. Drain the grease and set the sausage aside.
- Back in the pot, add your olive oil, garlic, and kale. Sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until kale starts to wilt and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add spices, both and water. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls topped with some fresh mozzarella (or grated, but fresh is a special treat).