These cookies captured my imagination a couple days ago, so much so that I made them quickly! Brown butter anything is my favourite, as readers will know, and these sweet little cookies are no exception. Mine were not nearly as thin and sugar-cookie like as the ones that Let’s Dish made, but they were still delicious. I’ve mostly kept the recipe the same, because I like to try something once before jazzing it up Stacey-style (mostly by adding chocolate in some way). I’ve adjusted the ingredients to how I like to see them, and omitted the instructions for browning the butter, because you can find that here! Enjoy, and thanks to Let’s Dish again for this wonderful recipe!
Brown Butter Sugar Cookies
Recipe is from this lovely blog.
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsps butter (plus 1/4 cup butter to not be browned)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (for rolling)
- 1 3/4 cups packed brown sugar (plus 1/4 cup for rolling)
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Brown 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsps of butter, if you aren’t sure how, visit my unnecessary walkthrough. Pour the browned butter into a large bowl and stir the remaining 1/4 cup of butter until melted; set aside for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, or coat them with cooking spray. In a shallow baking dish or pie plate, mix the 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar; set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and baking powder together in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 3/4 cups brown sugar along with the salt to the cooled butter and mix well. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined, about 1 minute. Give the dough a final stir with a rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Form the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls (just larger than a twoonie) and roll them in the sugar mixture to coat. Place them on the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake one sheet at a time until cookies are browned and still puffy and edges have begun to set but the centers are still soft, 8-10 minutes. Cool for 1-2 minutes on the baking sheets and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.